Friday, October 10, 2008

Back in Town - The Great Wall

I did not drown in the Yangtze or disappear in the labyrinth of Beijing. .. I am back. Although I am working through my second cold. This one is run of the mill sniffles but please keep your fingers crossed that this will be the last for a while.


The weather has turned a little chilly and we have had some beautiful blue days. One of those lovely days I spent at the Great Wall.















I went with an enormous group of Beijing Normal students (about 14 buses) and one of them is a really sweet girl whose western name is Emily. The bus ride took about two hours and I did not bring enough snacks to eat so I paid way to much for a banana on top of the Great Wall. Emily is a good sport who tried to teach me some Chinese on the ride.






Of course the pictures convey very little of the grandeur of the experience but it is better than nothing.




Can you see little me up on the parapets? Just one over from the last one on the right.



This is probably one of my favorite pictures.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I am so sorry I could not talk the other day when you called. I did my presentation today and it went really well. Let's talk this week, if you can...I would love to hear more about your trip!

Darth Rachel said...

ahh, gorgeous! i really think i captured the feel of it on those balloons haha. Sorry you paid too much for a banana but i hope it made you feel better.

ive got a cold too. it prevents me from sleeping. hope yours isnt as bad as mine.

more!

Karen said...

You know that I saved those balloons. I hope you feel better. Have you tried Nyquil?

Anonymous said...

Those pics are breath taking!!! I bet seeing it up close is a lot different than seeing it on a wall in a chinese buffet lol. This semester just seems to be flying by, ITS CRAZY!!!! Spring classes are up, I was looking at them and I won't get to have you next semester cause I have already had 20th century, BLOWS!!! but I will just have to stop by and say Hi frequently. Hope you are getting better. Miss ya

Ian

Tessa said...

I can't believe it's taken me this long to post a comment, I am a terrible blogger haha. I hope everything is going well, with the exception of colds and over-priced bananas. The semester is flying by, can't wait for you to come back. Looks like you're having a great time :)

Anonymous said...

What balloons? I don't see any balloons.....LD

Darth Rachel said...

When Karen got the official word I got 5 big red balloons and used a sharpie to put a bunch of "chinese" images on them as a congratulations "bouquet"

MCB said...

just so you know, sitting on the great wall of china is on my list of things to do before i die... i.e. looks like fun and i'm jealous. :)

hope that you are feeling much better now.

Anonymous said...

You're going to bring back some great memories.

How are classes going?

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I was in your first 20th Century course at Winthrop and saw your article in the e-newsletter. How amazing to have the experience of teaching in China! It sounds like a great adventure: the cultural differences and discussions about art (and I'm sure the election, too) them must be a thrill! I'll be thinking of you and check back later.

-Ellen Marini :)
(Ellen Anderson in my Winthrop time)