Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beijing - Getting settled



Well, I am gradully learning my way around. This post is mainly to show some pictures. On my second day I went to Ikea. And I love Ikea. The apartment was in sore need of some color.

This is an absolutely random appearance of the Transformer icons. I took this while I was lost and trying to find a vegetarian restaurant. After asking several people I never did find it but stumbled across another cafe.
The Paralympics start soon and I am going to try and get tickets to among other things Wheelchair Rugby aka Muder Ball.








The cafeteria in Ikea. And yes they do serve Swedish meatballs at this Ikea.












I like the air quality sign. Although the effort is appreciated I am more worried about the air OUTSIDE. Although on my second or third day there was a nice rain storm and after that the air smelled relatively fresh.

















So here are the results of my shopping excursion. (The fun items anyway) There were also things like pots, pans, hangers, extension cords etc. .. Notice groovy lamp and pillows. And of course no home of mine would be complete without a box of tissues.



















I got together with another Fulbright family and we had a really lovely day that started with Western style brunch, included a trip to a beautiful park (Ritan Park) near all the embassies, and ended with a hectic trip to carre four which is next to wal mart.




Yum! Steak and Eggs. They had waffles.

This is me riding a horse that would be an excellent exercise machine. It really works the thigh muscles.




This is a subway sign. I am so glad we can import the VERY BEST of our culture. I also passed a Hooters at one point but was too tired to take out the camera.

4 comments:

Darth Rachel said...

china looks great. and so does your apartment. it looks spacious. maybe its a trick of the camera? lol

i REALLY want that pony. i'm serious. i want it.

got any pictures of campus?

oh and here's the link to that model (who's pretty funny) that blogs from hong kong

http://elysesewell.livejournal.com/

Karen said...

The apartment is pretty spacious. By NYC standards it is palatial. I have an extra bed. Two Twins. So if you are not too busy in your first semester of grad school(I mean eally its is not that hard. ha ha) then hop on a plane.

Anonymous said...

Have you been assigned classes yet? How did your meeting with the Dean go? Can you get info on our exciting elections here - particularly the GOP VP nominee, ah me, where is Hillary when we need her? Gov. Palin and I have nothing in common besides gender - there is a gruesome picture in Time of Ms. Palin and an elk she bagged while hunting....blood and all. She can hang with the boys I guess. Anyway, I digress. Oh I watched Mad Med tonight - it is really authentic, down to the tiniest detail, just like you promised. So far, my favorite part (besides the pointy bras and constanty smoking) is the picnic where they leave all their trash in the park....brings back childhood memories! And, I really love the men's suits...they are so....very....masculine. Laura deee

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen

Just read through your blog with the latest photos. I love the one with you and Obama - and yes, i can see what you say about losing weight. But you still look great, though a bit pale. I hope Kevin is still there. You can call me any time after he leaves - I will listen to you if you are sad.

Great to read news of you in the Winthrop e-newsletter. It's almost time for you to be BACK!

Hurray!

Clara