Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Some Tourist Spots





Well. there has been a break in my blog updates but I have a good reason. No, I have not been teaching classes yet, instead I was sick with a virus. The symptoms were different everyday like a not fun surprise every morning. But I think I am on the mend (knock on wood). Seriously, I am superstitious and need good thoughts so I don't get sick for a while.









Before I got sick I visited a Bhuddist temple and the Forbidden City. This is a very lovely series of temples (Yonghe Lama Temple) and many people were burning incense and praying. The street is lined with stores selling incense and other Bhuddist items.







The approach to the Forbidden City which was the residence of the Emperors. It was first built between 1406 and 1420 and remained off limits to any commoners for 500 years. This is basically a city within a city. I know I keep saying that everything in Beijing is big. But really, this is absolutely enormous.



















This is just one of many buildings that make up the central axis of the Forbidden City. There is a long walk once you pass under the huge picture of Mao and before you get to the gates of the palace. It is hard to say how long the walk is because you are maneouvering around about 5 bazillion other tourists and dodging "helpful" tour guides. ie scam artists.


The picture of the rooftops is the closest thing I came to an "artsy" shot. The tiles on the roof glinted gold in the weak (although very hot) sunlight and contrasted nicely with the scafolding in the murky distance.







Just one of the many galleries contained within the complex is a clock museum. These amazing objects are covered with jewels and all sorts of precious objects but this one was my favorite. Please read the description below. They had a few clocks that they would wind up twice a day so you got some sense of their movement and sound.























I went with some Fulbright friends to a restaurant that was really very lovely. None of my outdoor pictures came out well in the dark but the complex of buildings was once the home of a high official and there were many little gardens and red lanterns. The waitresses and waiters wear "traditional" clothing and the whole effect is impressive if also kitschy.




















As many of you know I have been a vegetarian for about 20 years but I was really tempted to return to being a carnivore with these tasty items on the menu. (I really hope the Deer Dish is an awkward translation and not what it says in English)



That wraps up this installment. I spend half the time, while putting the blog together, trying to line up the text and picture. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Any tips?






One of my classes starts on September 22. So keep your fingers crossed.



8 comments:

Darth Rachel said...

my tip is to do all of your writing first. then when you add the pictures you can just drag them down to the spot you want. when youre done you might have a large amount of space at the top of your entry i usually just delete until all that empty space is gone.

btw, got your message. *sigh* i'm sorry i didn't answer. my phone was off for a class and i had forgotten to turn it back on STUPID ME.

i've started a new job in a gallery on campus so i'm usually busy until after 7 my time. but any time after that if you call i will answer!

love the picture and ... i hate to say it but i'll bet the deer afterbirth thing is correct. i've been watching that "strange foods" show and stuff like that exists.

Darth Rachel said...

PS- glad to hear you are not sick anymore, although hate to hear you were sick at all. perhaps it's the pollution?

Karen said...

HI Rachel,
I will will try you again another day. I would love to hear about your classes. Thanks for checking the blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow, its so cool reading about your experiences in China. The pictures are awesome, and the deer afterbirth thing is kinda scary, but I did chuckle when I saw it. Miss seeing you around the halls of rutledge as I walk to classes. I am also glad you are having a good time. I bet you are stoked about the classes beginning soon. We miss you here!!!

Ian

Anonymous said...

hey matthew mcconahey(sp?) buried his wife's afterbirth under a tree in Hawiaai (sp?) recently...although I don't think eating it has been common since the paleolithic period......I have always wondered about the forbidden city, as when I read descriptions of it in 19th century novels or travel literature it does sound so enormous and magical fountain bridge peony lovely lady tip toeing on her impossibly tiny feet nightingale palace guards courtesans gambling eunuchs ponds willows palaces and so on... but the only picture one ever sees is the one main palace (from the last emperor movie) SOOO I really appreciate knowing that all of that exotic and elitist lovely stuff from a long ago inhumanely beautiful time ... might still exist!

I wish I could spell Hawaiiai. Hawiaai. Hawaeee.
bye! Laura D.

Darth Rachel said...

btw.. why celery? is celery complimentary to afterbirth? does it hold up well in the pairing? for such a watery.. tasteless vegetable i fear that perhaps it's only there for texture?

*shudder*

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

Great to see the pictures, it makes everything more real. I got your message the other day, How great is it that classes have started (well, at least you sounded happy about it). How are the students? Do you really have 8-hour classes?
I have been trying to write here for days. You will not believe it, but it is true - I kept trying to find where I could write but all I saw was everyone else's messages. Today I clicked somewhere (forgot already) and here I am. Do call again if you can. Your apartment looks lovely by the way. We all miss you here. I found out today that Cookies had flees (this message is nothing if not scattered, it was a long day...). I actually saw one and caught it and the didn't know what to do with it pinched between my fingers and then ... well, I'll save you the details. All in all, things keep moving along, another semester gobbling down the days faster than I can count. So, see, soon you'll be here! You look great in the photos by the way. Ciao for now, Clara

Anonymous said...

I hear you're going up the mighty river for 4 days and will also climb the wall - hey, all we have here is politics and Palin. So, no contest. Cookies had flee treatment and then got sick - very eventful as you can see. How are the boys? All 3 of them?
great pictures Karen, the 'egg' is fabulous, dream-like, one wants to go in. I wouldn't mind an egg to get into for a while right now.
talk to you soon? L., Clara