Monday, September 1, 2008

Beijing - Moving In

I have been in Beijing for almost a week and at least I can ride the subway and shop in the grocery store without making an idiot of myself but pretty much everything else is filled with pitfalls. The representatives from the university have been very helpful but I go on adventures daily by myself. This includes picking a location (store, restaurant, etc) and trying to find it. About half the time I am successful and the other half I have to rethink my plan. Beijing is vast, the buildings are huge and the streets are filled with bikers and cars who yield to no one. I have located some cozy coffee shops and some good restaurants. Part by accident and part by design.

The apartment is slowly starting to feel like home. I have added some decorations and can cook at home. Still don't know the details of my classes.

I have been too overwhelmed to take pictures but they will be following soon. I talk daily with Kevin on Skype. Free when it is computer to computer. I miss you all and would love to hear from you.

7 comments:

Darth Rachel said...

i'm kind of dissapointed that you are vegetarian, only because i wish you would eat all that weird stuff and tell me what its like.

i guess you could do this with vegetarian things as well, though i doubt they are as scary.

glad to hear you are beginning to find your way.

maybe on your first day of class you can just do a pantomime and ask the class what exactly theyre signed up for?

MCB said...

i second the pantomime bit... it'll be like a fun game.

Anonymous said...

I suggest showing episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger on the first day of class.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

Hey subway girl,
miss your calls, mostly those when you speak and I message, remember? I'm writing this message, hoping it'll somehow pop up on the screen when you check your blog (will it? I wonder....).
Great to hear your apartment begins to feel like home.

talk to you soon (I hope)

Clara
(I'm anonymous on this blog, i guess- oh well, you know who I am)

Anonymous said...

It did pop up on the screen!

anonymous.....

Karen said...

Yeah,
THe miming thing sounds fun but it gets old really, really quick. Oh Rachel the vegetables do look scary. Check out the spiky smelly fruit. I am just glad we played all that cranium otherwise where would I be.

Karen

Anonymous said...

the beard calls you home.....
the ...beard...